I’m shopping for formal clothing on Amazon! In fact, the headline is that my daughter is getting married in October – an evening party at a stylish Brooklyn restaurant.
In that context, I will meet new friends and extended family members. And when I meet a new acquaintance and say, “I’m a 50-year-old fashion blogger,” I think I should really wear a great outfit. Right?
That is to say I do not want to settle for a beautiful dress. I want it to be stunning. Since February, I’ve tried at least 14 formal dresses. There were a handful of clothing stores in New York and another batch in a clothing store in New Mexico. My last six outfits, though, came from Amazon – specifically Amazon Try Before You Buy (formerly known as Amazon Prime Wardrobe).
When you purchase through the links on this page, I can earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Try before you buy Amazon Prime
With Prime Try Before You Buy, you can order multiple outfits, try them out at home, and make a purchase decision – all before you spend a penny. This is a beautiful shopping experience for a formal outfit. Here is the reason:
- It’s easy to check out a formal gown at home vs. store. You can stand up and sit down, bend over, experiment with different underwear – without standing next to an interested style consultant.
- You don’t have to tie up your credit card by paying for the clothes first, Only return it later. I tried six outfits from Amazon. In total, they would cost me about $ 2,000.
- You can try the dress at different times of the day. Any color that can affect the light will make you look brighter or wash off.
- It is very fun to distribute formal attire to you for free. No explanation is required here.
If you are interested in using Prime Tri before you buy, here are some rules to know:
- Prime Try Before You Buy by Prime is available to members And members of their Amazon family.
- Amazon sets the dollar price for a product that you can try at once. My limit was $ 1,000. I ordered four dresses to start with, then two more in separate orders. I could not complete the second order until I returned all the clothes of the first.
- You have seven days to try the piece. Seven days start when the order is delivered. My first order arrived in two shipments and started seven days after the second shipment arrived.
- You must let Amazon know if you have any items, if any. You can do this by accessing your order details in your account.
- Return items you don’t want before the trial period ends. Your order will include a shipping label. You may also have the option of returning to a drop-off location without packaging or labeling. Otherwise, you can package your formal attire and drop it off at a UPS store.
- If you do nothing, Amazon charges you a full order seven days after your credit card.
I returned all six garments, without any problems. I had a brief panic moment when I thought I had lost the return shipping label – but it didn’t matter. Wherever I live, Amazon has given me the option to take the clothes to Kohl instead of sending them
End row: I’ll use Prime Tree before buying again, especially for high-end dresses (or when I’m talking specifically about what I want).
Here’s a tip for stylish mommas: I started searching for “Mother-of-the-Bride” attire, but I had to change. You can probably guess this by the difference between the first four dresses and the last two. MOTB dresses were usually more matronly than I wanted. I was lucky enough to find a “formal gown”.
Now, for the best formal attire on Amazon. Forgive my bare feet!
$ 25 for your thoughts! Complete our 4-question survey by April 15 for a chance to win $ 25 gift cards.
1. Alex Evenings Sleeveless (239)
I like the color of this dress, the hint of glitter and the beautiful shawl. It was a size too large, though, and the light was heavy enough to be uncomfortable. Shop this outfit here.
2. Adriana Papel Navy Blouse Dress ($ 193)
Gatsby-inspired with a blouse top – I thought this would be a protector. Turns out, that loose top looks frumpy on me. Shop this outfit here.
3. Adriana Papel Burgundy Blouse Dress ($ 209)
If nothing else, I’m consistent. It is very similar to the upper navy dress, but with simple beads. The pattern is beautiful, but the silhouette didn’t work for me. Shop this outfit here.
4. Adriana Papel Goddard Gown ($ 300)
Of course the most expensive in the bunch was my favorite. That’s always the way. I love this outfit, but it’s not enough to promise. I wanted to continue experimenting with the neckline and size. Shop this outfit here.
5. Black Hello Asymmetrical (500)
The color pulls me to this one. I don’t usually go to gatherings, but I thought why not try? It turned out that the crowd did not bother, but they did. The off-shoulder sleeves were very tight. I could barely raise my arms. Maybe that’s why I feel frozen in this picture. কিন Buy this dress here.
6. Adriana Papel Long Sequin Dress ($ 129)
This may have been a protector, but the beads were loose on one shoulder. I sent it back, making sure I could find the same outfit elsewhere. I now regret that move because this style seems to have disappeared into the ether. I checked AdriannaPapell.com, Macys.com, BHLDN without any luck.
If you wear size 6 then you can buy this dress. According to Amazon there is only one left.
So those are the clothes and I still have more shopping left. The good news is that trying on Amazon gowns has helped me find my favorite silhouette. That should make the rest of my shopping a whole lot easier.